Certified Snow Professional Eligibility Options
The first step in becoming a CSP is to determine eligibility. Review the options below to determine which eligibility option to apply under.
Option 1 - Direct Snow Management Experience
In the last 5 years, applicant has 3 or more consecutive winter seasons of direct snow-specific experience in the industry as an owner, co-owner, or CEO OR in the last 5 years, applicant has 5 or more consecutive winter seasons of direct snow-specific experience as a supervisor/manager*
*Supervisor/manager is defined as an individual who manages and is accountable for at least one of the following: billing/accounting, operations management, legal/insurance/subcontractors, sales/marketing/account management, or facilities/property management.
Option 2: Snow-Specific Training, Experience, and Education
If an applicant does not fall under Option 1, the applicant must have the following:
1. Education credits
. 15 hours of SIMA-approved, snow-specific education credits within a 2 year period (prior to application submission). Approved training includes snow-specific courses/workshops/webinars put on by a qualified entity, including local/regional nonprofit associations, consultants, SIMA, etc. To be considered snow-specific, the content should be clearly identified as having a winter or snow/ice management affiliation. All pre-education submissions are subject to an audit and clarification from SIMA before final application is approved. Applicants will be asked to provide credit information on the application.
. At least 2 consecutive winter seasons as a supervisor/manager in any industry-affiliated organization.
3. Post-secondary education degree OR relevant certification
. Applicants must have one of the following:
- Associate's, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or technical degree in any field.
- Certification. Exists as a currently certified individual, in which the certification meets the following requirements:
- Certification program has published pre-requisites, required continuing educational credits, and an appeals process in place.
- A minimum of 50% of the certification outcomes must be tied to any combination of general business management, marketing/sales, legal, financial, or leadership.
- Applicant has been certified in good standing for 3 or more consecutive years from the date of submitting CSP application.