Code of Conduct
In order to provide all participants with the opportunity to benefit from SIMA events and activities, SIMA is committed to providing a friendly, safe, supportive and harassment-free environment for all conference attendees and participants, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion]. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including speaker materials.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination [related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion.
- Verbal threats or demands
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of sessions or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
We expect all participants—attendees, speakers, sponsors, and volunteers—to follow the Code of Conduct during the symposium and related SIMA events. This includes symposium-related social events at off-site locations, and in related online communities and social media. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Conference participants violating this Code of Conduct may be expelled from the conference without a refund, and/or banned from future SIMA events, at the discretion of SIMA and its Board of Directors.
Exhibitors in the expo hall, sponsor or vendor booths, or similar activities are also subject to the code of conduct. In particular, exhibitors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it to a SIMA staff member as soon as possible. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone.
You can make a personal report with SIMA by:
- Calling or messaging this phone number: 414-375-1940. Since all SIMA staff will be onsite, it will go to voicemail. However, this phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of the event. You can also email Aimee@sima.org.
- Contacting a staff member. Here are images of SIMA staff so you can find us onsite.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we'll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we'll handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won't be asked to confront anyone and we won't tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
Email address for organizers: Aimee@sima.org
Phone number for Palais security: 514-871-3141 or dial 555 on one of the house phones located in the corridors of the Palais.
Phone number for hotel/venue security:
Toll-free Sexual Assault hotline: 1-888-933-9007 (Montreal Sexual Assault Centre)
Local law enforcement: Call 9-1-1 or report an incident online