Big storms and inevitable no-shows mean snow and ice management companies need to have backup labor in place to meet the required level of service. Following are five sources to turn to if you need backup during the season:
- Run ads on Craigslist with current employment needs. For those willing to take on added expense, consider placing ads with local radio stations and/or in your hometown newspaper’s classified section.
- Encourage employee referrals and ask your existing subcontractors to spread the word. Many companies offer incentives to employees who recruit others into the organization.
- Reach out to local seasonal companies (landscaping, painting, roofing, paving, etc.) whose employees may need the extra cash.
- Post a flyer on local college job boards, especially those that have exterior maintenance programs. Many colleges have electronic job boards that you can post to, or use sites like uloop.com.
- Contact local churches that may have congregations that are underserved in the job market.
Quick Tips, powered by BOSS Snowplow, are quick, easy tips on highly specific topics in snow management. Read all Quick Tips at www.sima.org/quicktips.