Tailgate or toolbox training meetings help keep safety top of mind for crew leaders and team members. Following are tips for making the most of these 10- to 30-minute sessions:
- Don’t wing it. Outline the topics you want to cover and stick to them. Use your own material or industry-specific training tools from organizations like SIMA or NALP.
- Be diligent. Set a calendar and post it with scheduled training dates and times to hold everyone accountable for attendance.
- Train the trainers. Make sure whomever you choose to lead the training knows the subject matter and how to best present it.
- Encourage participation. Don’t lecture. Ask questions and encourage participation. Use real-life examples as a training tool. Leave time at the end of the session for questions and any concerns the team may have related to the topic.
- Document training. Take attendance or use some sort of documentation to ensure everyone completes the session. Consider simple quizzes, which will allow you to track the training.
Additional resources can be found here:
View all 2017 Snow Safety week articles and content here. Thank you to our sponsors Caterpillar, BOSS Snowplow, and RAM Trucks.