This event is SOLD OUT and will NOT be accepting onsite registrations. Event Description
We apologize for any inconvenience. Please continue to check our Calendar of Events for potential upcoming events.
SIMA invites you to attend a 2 day educational event that will address the core challenges and issues facing snow and ice professionals. Unlike traditional educational training, the 2014 Salt Summit and Think Tank will utilize facilitated interaction amongst attendees to examine core issues, develop innovative ideas, and leave you with solutions you can implement into your business practices immediately. Day 1 | Salt Summit
The Salt Summit will directly address a top challenge of the 2013-14 winter season: managing salt supply inventory. Sponsored by SnowEx, Day 1 will be held at the SnowEx Factory, where attendees will:
Day 2 | Think Tank
- Learn what it takes to implement a liquids program.
- Evaluate the results of a 4-year study of standard salt application rate.
- Work in focus groups to find solutions to customers' snow and ice melt needs.
- Tour the SnowEx Factory to see how SnowEx spreaders are manufactured
The Think Tank will take place at the MGM Grand Detroit, and will be an interactive, attendee-led discussion with both snow and ice contractors and property and facility managers. Following theAction Learning model with Dr. Michael Marquardt, attendees will:
- Determine root-cause challenges in snow management.
- Develop solutions to these challenges.
- Construct ideas alongside property and facility managers.
Schedule of Events
Monday, August 25
6:00 - 8:00pm - Opening Welcome Reception
Salt Summit - Tuesday, August 26
|7:00 - 8:00am |
|Registration at MGM Grand Detroit. Bus leaves hotel for SnowEx Factory at 8:00am. |
|8:30 - 11:00am |
| Welcome to the Salt Summit |
- From Landscape Contractor to Equipment Dealer to Manufacturer: Chuck Truan, President, TrynEx International
- Salt Survey Results: Phill Sexton, SIMA
- Using Liquids to Reduce Costs and Grow Profits: Diana Clonch, DW Clonch, LLC
- Developing a Material Strategy to Optimize Results: Steve Bytnar,
- Selling Customers on Performance (Liquids and
Contract Issues): Dale Keep, Ice and Snow Technologies
|11:00am - 12:00pm |
|SnowEx Factory Tour |
|12:15 - 1:45pm |
|Lunch and CEO of the Year Presentation |
Sponsored by Ram Commercial and BusinessLink
|1:45 - 2:45pm |
|How Much is Enough? Using Salt Application Rate Standards for Your Business: Raqib Omer Mian, University of Waterloo |
|2:45 - 5:00pm |
|Roundtable Problem Solving - How to Best Manage Your Salt Supply |
|5:00pm ||Bus Departs back to MGM Grand Detroit |
Think Tank - Wednesday, August 27
Hotel and Registration Info
|8:00 - 9:00am |
Breakfast at MGM Grand Hotel
|9:00 - 3:00pm |
|Action Learning facilitated by Dr. Michael Marquardt |
- When Budget and Scope of Service Do Not Align with Expectations
- Managing the Financial Impact of Snow & Ice Services
- Risk Management and Liability Exposure: How Can We
- Contract Chaos: Understanding How RFPs and
- Procurement Models: National/Regional/Local. What
Works Well and What Needs Improvement?
- Communication: Establishing Mutual Trust and Reliable Service
- Proper Preparation: Snow and Ice Services as a Year Round Service
Host Hotel - The MGM Grand Detroit
1777 Third Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Room Rate (Special rates available through August 4, 2014
$169 USD/night (plus 15% local hotel room tax)
Complimentary valet and self-parking.
Reservations: Call 877-888-2121. Mention the "SIMA Salt Summit & Think Tank 2014" to ensure your room at the special group rate.
Additional baseball game tickets can be purchased for $60
|SIMA Members/Registration Fee ||On or before 07-07-14 ||After 07-07-14 |
| Salt Summit & Think Tank + baseball game || $350 || $395 |
| Salt Summit & Think Tank (no baseball game) || $290 || $335 |
| || || |
| Non-Members/Registration Fee ||On or before 07-07-14 || After 07-07-14 |
| Salt Summit & Think Tank + baseball game || $400 || $445 |
| Salt Summit & Think Tank (no baseball game) || $340 || $385 |