Cold weather fuel storage is essential. Proper containers, storage, PPE, and cleanup are all part of a good operating system.
- Use safety glasses and appropriate chemical-rated gloves when filling or dispensing
- Fuel on level and stable surfaces; if ice or snow exist, wear proper footwear to enhance grip
- Tightly fasten lids and caps
- Immediately replace leaking containers
- Clean up and responsibly dispose of spills with appropriate materials
- Utilize the proper color container for your specific fuel needs: Red = Gas, Yellow = Diesel, Blue = Kerosene
- Utilize fuel stabilizer in containers when turnover is longer than 90 days
- Utilize metal containers whenever possible
- Store fuel containers off the ground
- Comply with local storage regulations
- Have diesel fuel additive on hand to liquefy gelled fuel in cold temperatures
Quick Tips are quick, easy tips on highly specific topics in snow management. Read all Quick Tips at www.sima.org/quicktips.