Review 5 tips for backing up vehicles safely:
- Minimize the need to back up – Look at a site map beforehand and follow a designated route that doesn’t involve backing up.
- Properly equip the vehicle – Proper lighting, alarms and equipment (ex. reflective tape) should be installed properly.
- Use mirrors appropriately – Make sure mirrors are clear of snow, scan all mirrors while backing up and check blind spots.
- Visual inspections can help – Before backing up, perform a visual inspection to check for major obstructions (ex. vehicles) or ground obstructions (ex. medians).
- Follow best practices – Turn on lights, roll windows down and look for pedestrians.