Certified Snow Professional Eligibility Options
The first step in becoming a CSP is to determine eligibility. Review the options below to determine which eligibility option to apply under.
Option 1 - Direct Snow Management Experience
□ In the last 5 years, applicant has 3 or more consecutive winter seasons of direct snow-specific experience in the industry as an owner, co-owner, or CEO OR
□ In the last 5 years, applicant has 5 or more consecutive winter seasons of direct snow-specific experience as a supervisor/manager* (Supervisor/manager is defined as an individual who manages and is accountable for at least one of the following: billing/accounting, operations management, legal/insurance/subcontractors, sales/marketing/account management, or facilities/property management).
*Supervisor/manager applications must include a letter from an immediate supervisor outlining the specific functions managed.
Option 2: Snow-Specific Training, Experience, and Education
If an applicant does not fall under Option 1, the applicant must have the following:
1. Education credits
. 15 hours of SIMA-approved, snow-specific education credits within a 2 year period (prior to application submission). Approved training includes snow-specific courses/workshops/webinars put on by a qualified entity, including local/regional nonprofit associations, consultants, SIMA, etc. To be considered snow-specific, the content should be clearly identified as having a winter or snow/ice management affiliation. All pre-education submissions are subject to an audit and clarification from SIMA before final application is approved. The applicant is responsible for tracking and providing to SIMA the list of training hours, in Microsoft Excel format, with the following information:
- Name/date of training course/event
- Name and contact information (email, website, or phone) of training coordinator/entity
- Number of hours earned
. At least 2 consecutive winter seasons as a supervisor/manager in any industry-affiliated organization.
3. Post-secondary education degree OR relevant certification
. Applicants must have one of the following:
- Associate's, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or technical degree in any field. Applicants must submit transcripts or copy of degree earned.
- Certification. Exists as a currently certified individual, in which the certification meets the following requirements:
- Certification program has published pre-requisites, required continuing educational credits, and an appeals process in place.
- A minimum of 50% of the certification outcomes must be tied to any combination of general business management, marketing/sales, legal, financial, or leadership.
- Applicant has been certified in good standing for 3 or more consecutive years from the date of submitting CSP application.
- To apply under this option, the applicant is responsible for providing to SIMA a word document with the certification, certification description, certifying body, and date the certification was earned.
4. Reference Letter. A letter from an immediate supervisor outlining the specific functions managed.